Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Knee Problems & PT

For the better part of a year or more I have been having problems with both knees. They crack, pop, stay sore, and make physical activity difficult. If you know me well, you know that I hate taking medication and going to the dr. I try to remedy problems on my own before taking the plunge & going. But, the condition is growing increasingly worse. I began to worry that if I didn't have it looked into soon that I would make matters worse.

I went to my family physician last week. He did an x-ray; however, that looked good. He said that cartilage related problems typically don't show up on that type of scan. In turn, he referred me to a Physical Therapist (PT) for 4 weeks of therapy..once per week. That brings me to today. I just returned from an hour of agonizing exercises. My goodness....I am OUT of SHAPE!!! It was pathetic. The 80 year old stroke patients worked circles around me (exaggeration, but I was a sight to see)!! Ultimately the long term outcome is supposed to be strengthened leg muscles to better control knee placement and location.

The diagnosis is long in name. Basically, "hippy" women (big through the hips...not those from the 60's and 70's) sometimes have mis-alignment of the knee bones b/c of the pull & curvature from the hip area. It was and is confusing to me, but they seem to know what they are talking about. Anyway, in a lying position, the knees should be facing straight. My right knee turns slightly to the right. My left knee completely faces to the left. Therefore, in essence, I have crossed-eyed knees. :) The result is grinding and popping because the bones don't smoothly glide over the natural C-curve. The therapy and many at-home exercises should provide the thigh muscles with new-found strength to pull the knees back into place. Let's hope. If not, my next stop is an orthopedic physician. I'll update and maybe get pictures posted of my exercises. It is going to be a task!!!!!!





No comments: